LSK Nairobi Branch through its Legal Aid and Public Interest Litigation Committee has established a Legal Aid Programme aimed at enhancing the access to justice for indigent litigants in its area of operation. In order to achieve this mandate, the Branch has established the LSK Nairobi Branch Legal Aid Trust and will contribute an initial seed capital of Kshs 500,000 and seek matching funds from donor partners in order to actualise this programme.
Established in 2019 as an Initiative of the ICT & IP Liaison Committee the Legal Tech Programme aims to create awareness on the emerging issues with regard to Legal Technological advancements. The main activities under this programme are the LSK Nairobi Legal Technology and Innovation week as well as trainings on ICT upskilling for Lawyers.
First established in 2018, The Nairobi Legal Awards is aimed at recognising and rewarding excellence in the practice in a bid to set best practice standards in the region and beyond. The main activity under this programme is the Nairobi Legal Awards Gala Dinner.
Established in 2018, this programme is aimed at providing an avenue for young lawyers to benefit from the experience of their seniors by way of: one-one mentorship initiatives, Mentorship Forums and Mentorship Video Podcasts.
The core activity of LSK Nairobi Branch is to take care of all practice related matters of Advocates practicing in Nairobi & kiambu Counties. To this end, the Branch runs various Bar Bench Committees established under and specific to the various courts in Nairobi. This also includes Tribunal Liaison Committees, Companies Liaison Committee and Lands Liaison Committee.
The Bar Bench Committees are:
- Supreme Court Bar Bench Committee
- Court of Appeal Bar Bench Committee
- High Court Commercial and Tax Division Bar Bench Committee
- High Court Family Division Bar Bench Committee
- High Court Criminal Division Bar Bench Committee
- High Court Civil Division Bar Bench Committee
- High Court Constitutional & Judicial Review Bar Bench Committee
- High Court Anti-Corruption & Economic Crimes Division Bar Bench Committee
- Employment & Labour Relations Court Bar Bench Committee
- Environment & Land Court Bar Bench Committee
- Court Annexed Mediation Bar Bench Committee
- Chief Magistrates Criminal Division Bar Bench Committee
- Chief Magistrates Anti-Corruption and Economic Crimes Division Bar Bench Committee
- Chief Magistrates Civil Division Bar Bench Committee
- Kibera Law Courts Bar Bench Committee
- Jomo Kenyatta International Airport Chief Magistrates Court Bar Bench Committee
- Childrens’ Court Bar Bench Committee
The Tribunal Liaison Committees are:
- Rent Restrictions Tribunal Committee
- Business Premises Rent Tribunal Committee
- Cooperatives Tribunal Committee
- National Environment Tribunal Committee
- Public Procurement Administration Review Board Liaison Committee
The two Liaison Committees are:
- Companies Liaison Committee
- Lands Liaison Committee
The LSK Nairobi Branch is keen on promoting the use of Alternative Disputes Resolution Mechanisms in its quest for promoting access of justice to all. The Internal Disputes Resolutions Committee was established to take care of lawyer-lawyer disputes through Mediation.
The Branch in conjunction with various partners runs training programmes aimed at upskilling
advocates on various aspects of practice.